In November 2020, Delando Corporation will celebrate 70 years in Newcastle and the Hunter, and we are proud that we continually change and adapt to better serve our community’s needs.
- We have grown from a Public Benevolent organisation started in November 1950 by a group of parents of intellectually disabled children, to one of the Hunter’s most respected names in support services.
- Started by volunteers to provide support and advice to parents raising children with an intellectual disability, and to offer life skills and training to people with an intellectual disability, the core values of Delando remain unchanged.
- Delando has adapted with the changing needs of people with an intellectual disability and their carers.
- We continually seek funding opportunities to offer more support services to improve the social and vocation skills of people with a disability.
- Delando is a vibrant activity centre for the intellectually disabled – allowing young adults the opportunity to develop their social skills and learn valuable life skills such as cooking and crafting.
- We offer Supported Employment Options to allow people with an intellectual disability to develop their skills and confidence through a range of Host Employer options.
- We work closely with our partner Host Employer Sites to provide professional, supervised working opportunities in the community.
These opportunities build confidence, social skills and encourage contribution to society. And they build friendships too.
Delando is a respectful, caring organisation and we always place the person at the centre of everything we do.